For our God is a consuming fire.

-Hebrews 12:29


generated by sloganizer.net

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Alternative Alphabet

What a weird, bassackwards week it's been. Perhaps you remember that my parents were in a terrible car accident about this time last year? Two days ago, the man who hit them and ran from the scene accepted a plea bargain and was put in jail. For his crime of "leaving the scene of a crash involving injuries", followed by crimes of "carrying a concealed firearm" this fine member of citizenry will receive four months jail time and two years probation.

My father's tenacity is the sole reason he's getting any jail time at all. The court was willing to bestow several previous pleas of mere probation. But my dad continued to attend hearing after hearing on my mom's behalf to convey the damage caused by the defendant while still on probation from previous crimes. Clearly probation was not acting as a successful deterent. Four months seems like so little punishment for a man who almost killed my mother and caused months of agony for all my family. It is not my place to pass judgment though; I am thankful a measure of justice was served. I'm also grateful for some closure for my parents.


Gratitude: it a first step to releasing anger. I've have some major anger issues with this guy. So, I've been trying an exercise while taking slightly longer, hotter showers during the cooler fall season. Based on a poster I'd seen advertised by Syracuse Cultural Workers, I've been reciting 26 reasons to be thankful; one for each letter of the alphabet. I love their idea that this alphabet is for the grown-ups too. Why not leverage the notion to help me focus on the many reasons I have to give thanks, instead of on any animosity I may have toward another? Here we go:

AblazeyDaisy's Alternative Ahimsa Alphabet
Action - taking some rather than talking makes change.
B
ass - I love me some hubby low octove grooves.
C
ats - my boyz who comfort me no matter the situation.
D
el Ray - my town, my community, so hip and beautiful.
Employment - as in gainfully so in these tough times.
F
riends - who support me & pray for my concerns.
G
randparents - I have three living!
H
ome - I love mine and those in it.
I
ndia - I have great respect for the yogic traditions of this country.
J
esus - My Lord & Saviour.
Kisses - I enjoy 'em both human and chocolate style.
Laughter - the best medicine and great for stomach muscles.
Music - the universal language that transcends words & makes emotion tangible.
Namesake - maiden name & all I've come from, married name & husband are gifts from God.
O
xygen - deep back rib breathing to chillax & center.
P
iano - my grandma gave me hers to play.
Q
uest - life is an amazing journey w/ great ups along w/ its other-thans.
R
adical - the noun version, as in why be normal?
Simplicity - usually the best answers are the simplest.
Time - a good balm for what ails.
U
pright bass - my favorite instrument courtesy of the husband's passions.
V
erses - Bible quotes to heal: Philippians 4:6, Hebrews 12:28
Water - quenches thirst like nothing else & we've got clean H2O at our fingertips.
X
anadu - a place where nobody dared to go; a love that we came to know.
Yoga - I'm constantly growing & knowing thru this (& I'm keeping this poster choice as my own!)
Zero - # of days we have to go it alone. God neither leaves nor forsakes!

It is a successful tool to refocus. Thank you Lord for bringing my family back to health.

2 comments:

deanabass@cscorporate.net said...

great alphabet! you've inspired me this morning to take a moment and count 26 alphabetized blessings of my own.

Lisa Maines said...

Thank you for this wonderful idea of focusing on that which we are grateful for. What I know as truth is: Gratitude Channels Grace!