For our God is a consuming fire.

-Hebrews 12:29


generated by sloganizer.net

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Causes & Considerations

OUCH! With so many wonderful causes and organizations needing assistance, it can make your head hurt trying to decide. The husband and I have used the church to dissemenate our tithes and donations to those in need; however, there are times when certain issues hit the heart hard. It's then that we try to dig a bit deeper with our time and other resources.

Three issues that affect me deeply are:
*social justice - International Justice Mission is an amazing Christian non-profit human rights based org, that literally rescues victims of human rights abuse across the globe.

*clean water - Blood: Water Mission in part builds wells in sub-Saharan African communities where water is multi-mile per day walk. Did you know that $1.00 can provide one African with clean water for a YEAR!

*animal rights - I'm a BIG fan of animal sanctuaries and I la la love Farm Sanctuary, as well as the our local Poplar Springs (where we celebrated our first vegan Thanksgiving in 2008). Today, I received an email from PETA, of whom I confess I'd let my support lapse.

They shared information on circus elephants being abused and my heart broke all over again. I've known that circuses, theme parks and others using animals for entertainment tend to mistreat their 'employees'. One need only consider the recent Sea World killer whale attack or famous the Sigfried and Roy mauling to see that wild animals forced into unnatural habitats are not going to gently respond.


Sign Here to Stop Circus Cruelty

Seeing the video and photos of these elephants spurred me to act as a conscientious consumer as best I could. I'm once again a PETA supporter. I invite you to reflect upon issues that are dear to your heart, and seek out like-minded organizations with whom you can partner. So many of us are blessed with freedom, easy access to food and clean water, some spare time to share with those in need. Where can we make a difference?


"If I am not for others, who am I for? And if not now, when?" - Talmud

"Everyone has the power for greatness, not for fame but greatness, because greatness is determined by service." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Whatever you did not do for the least of these, you did not do for me." -Matthew 25:45

No comments: